Get Ready, Get Involved - The Peterborough Youth Council
This is your chance to make a difference by becoming a member of the Peterborough Youth Council. The ten-member Youth Council, with support from the Peterborough Youth Commission, will engage, assist and empower young people in Peterborough to take action in addressing youth issues in our community.
An opportunity such as this will provide members with leadership skills, responsibility, and an opportunity to contribute to their community. The Youth Council will also provide a positive connection to other youth and adults in our community.
The Peterborough Youth Council will be hosting many great events over the next year. All events are free of charge. Watch for details.
Strong Youth, Enriched Community-The Youth Commission/Youth Council
The Youth Council works under the umbrella of the Peterborough Youth Commission. The Youth Commission was created following the 2000 Municipal election. The Commission has been very successful over the past ten years in assisting to make our community more youth-friendly. The Youth Commission and the Youth Council are gearing up for another exciting year. A few years ago, the Commission was successful in establishing free 30-day bus passes for youth volunteers, as well as recognizing youth who had made a difference in our community by awarding them the Mayor’s Youth Award. The Commission has provided support to several Community events throughout the year.
The Youth Commission is Chaired by Councillor Andrew Beamer. You can contact Councillor Beamer by email email@example.com or by phone 705 742-7777 x 4642.
Please attend the Commission’s upcoming meeting and find out how you can get involved. Meetings are open to the entire community – youth are encouraged to attend. The next meeting is scheduled as follows:
- Tuesday, February 24, 2015
- Location TBD
- 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm
New Youth Commission members are always welcome. For further information please call Ellen Stewart at 705 742-7777, extension 1805.
Nominations are being accepted for the Mayor's Youth Award. Next Ceremony will take place winter 2015 in Council Chambers. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
8 Ways to buy Sustainably
- Choose products with the least amount of packaging or buy in bulk.
- Seek out more appropriate or sustainable sizes.
- Find products with the highest post-consumer recycled content.
- Consider a reusable option as opposed to a single-use or disposable.
- Remember that energy efficient products are more sustainable.
- Purchase quality, durable products as they will require less frequent replacement.
- Look for eco-certifications-it helps identify products that meet stringent environmental standards.
- Buy natural, unprocessed, chemical-free materials and ethically sourced materials as they have the lowest impact on the environment.
Why is it important to live sustainably? Estimates suggest that in 35 years a quarter of the worlds species will be extinct:less than 1 in 5 humans will have access to drinkable water:and even more will be undernourished.