The source for information about programs and services available for you in Peterborough and beyond. Get connected! Our information is kept up to date on a weekly basis, so even if you just visited our site, chances are there is already something new, worth taking a look at. Don't be a stranger come back and visit us frequently. Also tell your friends. If there is something that you think we are missing or something that you would like to see, contact us with your ideas and we will make it happen.
5 surprising ways a lack of sleep can affect you!
One third of Canadians sleep less than 6 hours a night. Research shows that insufficient sleep affects both your health and your ability to function.
(1) Brain Freeze- not getting enough sleep reduces your ability to focus, think critically, problem-solve and retain information.
(2) Depression-lack of sleep has a strong influence on mood and has been linked to playing a role in depression.
(3) Poor Health-a lack of proper sleep poses a higher risk for developing long-term health conditions.
(4) Aging Skin-Beauty Sleep is a very real thing.
(5) Weight Gain- Research shows that those people who are sleep deprived are 3 times more likely to gain weight.
These reasons, and more, are why experts recommend practicing good sleep habits, including maintaining a consistent bedtime and wake time; sleeping in a cool dark room; avoiding stimulants such as caffeine and screen time in the evening.
What the Heck is Junk Food?
"Don't eat too much junk food!" I bet you have heard that a million times. Have you every wondered what exactly is "junk Food"?
The dictionary says junk food is "food having little nutritional value in relation to its caloric content" . That means the food gives you lots of calories, but very few vitamins, minerals or other nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. Often food like a freeze pop are called junk food as they do not have much nutritional value.
Then, to make it even more confusing, things like pizza that do contain nutrients but often a lot of calories is called junk food too!
On the flip side, there are foods called "nutrient dense"- foods like fruits and veggies which are loaded with vitamins and minerals but have very few calories.
The rule of thumb is to enjoy what some would call junk food once in a while when you are able to eat healthy most of the rest of the time. After all, it is OK to enjoy your favorite treats as long as they make up the smallest part of your diet.
Tips For Healthy Dating
Consider these tips before you head out.
- Meet in public places for the first few dates
- Never meet someone you've met online in a private place
- Only accept blind date recommendations from someone who knows both you and your date
- If you have a cell phone, make sure that it is charged
- Let someone know where you are going and when you will return
- Double date or ask a friend to join
- Never leave your drink unattended
- Make arrangements for someone to pick you up
- carry contraception: If you do want to be sexually active then you need to keep safe
- Don't be afraid to say NO